The Department of Virology and Bacteriology has a very well developed research and development facilities at its disposal. In the building there is a modern greenhouse complex allowing to work in monitored conditions and high-class laboratories equipped with specialist research equipment.
Research and development equipment:
- real-time PCR LightCycler 96 and 480 (Roche) ‒ real-time polimeraza chain reaction equipment,
- Thermocouples (Biometra),
- Qsep-100 DNA analyser (Bioptic) ‒ capillary RNA and DNA electrophoresis system
- Low and high speed ultracentrifuges (Beckman Coulter), cooling centrifuges (Sigma)
- laminar chambers (Esco, Alpina, Biosan),
- freeze drying Alpha 1-4 LSC basic (Christ),
- GenIII microbial identification system (Biologist),
- Sartorius Stedim bioreactor (Biostat Aplus),
- ELISA reader (BioTek).
- crop monitoring for pathogens,
- identification and diagnostics of viruses, bacteria (phytopathogenic, endophytic, soil bacteria), phytoplasms infesting crops and insect endosymbionts,
- recommendations for management in case of plant infestation with viruses, bacteria and phytoplasms,
- training in bacteriology,
- organization of workshops for students on molecular biology techniques and electron microscopy for identification of plant viruses.
The Department of Virology and Bacteriology has a permit to operate a genetic engineering plant in which a closed use of genetically modified organisms classified in the second category of danger is carried out.